#5 in the list of 7 Common Mistakes of DIY Organising Projects
Let the unwanted stuff hang around
is so easy to rectify. But first the reasons why you should avoid this mistake at all costs.
You’ve done the hard work sorting your stuff and deciding to get rid of some of it. Some of those decisions may have been particularly hard. Your main aim was probably to make some more room at your place. If you let the unwanted stuff hang around, waiting for
- time to take action on the next step – removal
- another decision – where or who this stuff is going to
- another step – garage sale or eBay
you run the risk of
- getting used to the pile of unactioned, undecided stuff
- second-guessing your hard-earned decisions
- having the piles of stuff to go and stuff to stay getting mixed together
- feeling hopeless because all your hard work has not produced the clear space you were hoping for
- having to sort it all over again
So, like I said, this mistake is rather easy to avoid. Just take action immediately.
- If you’re going to have a garage sale, set a date in the near future and go for it.
- If you’re going to sell on eBay, either get online and do it, or pay someone to do that for you.
- If you’re donating it, make a call and get it carted away, or put it in the car and deliver it the very next time you make a trip.
- If you’re tossing it, toss it.
And make a date – with yourself, someone close or a whole bunch of people – to enjoy the space you’ve created.